Nuclear Structure and Function Resources
- WWW.CELLNUCLEUS.COM -- a recent initiative by Dr. Michael Hendzel (University of Alberta) to gather and organize information on nuclear structure and function. An excellent
source of lecture material such as movies and images of nuclear compartments and bodies. The published review archive may also be useful to novices in the field.
- Introduction to the Cell Nucleus--Links to the introductory chapter on the cell nucleus from the classic textbook Molecular Biology of the Cell.
- Gwen Child’s introduction to the structure of the cell nucleus containing specific information pertaining to the Cell Nucleus as a whole, the
Chromosomes within the nucleus, the Nucleolus and the Nuclear pore.
- Nuclear Structure and Function-- a review for the layperson (from the Cook lab, Oxford).
- Jim Bone's Chromatin Structure and Function Pages-- a now classic website with comprehensive resources, including: job and conferences listings; links to researchers in the field; and a HOT papers listservice.
- Dimitry Pruss' Chromatin White Pages-- a exhaustive listing of almost every researcher studying chromatin and nuclear structure and function.
- Biochemsitry of Chromatin--Jakob Waterborg lectures and slide presentation on intro to the biochemistry of histones
- Gene Structure and Function News Group-- a Bionet newsgroup (remember these?) devoted to nuclear structure and function. If you have a question or want to post a position in your lab, this is the place to go!
- The Lamond Lab-- Home pages of Dr. Angus Lamond, molecular organization of the mammalian cell nucleus. From here you will find information on nuclear organisation and protein components of the nucleolus, sub-nuclear bodies (i.e. splicing speckles, cajal bodies etc.) and pre-mRNA splicing machinery.
-Available in Flash and plain vanilla HTML, a continually changing and perhaps over-the-top multimedia extravaganza but fun all the same
- The Spector Lab-- Home page of Dr. David Spector (Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory), protocols for the study of splicing speckles and movies of the dynamic aspects of splicing factor movement mammalian cells
- The Sedat Lab-- Home pages of Dr. John Sedat, a good site for 3D imaging information and 3D images and movies of chromosomes and nuclei.
- Tom Misteli's Lab--protocols, images and movies involving live cell analysis using fluorescent proteins and photo bleaching.
Nuclear Protein Databases and Resources
- NHGRI/NCBI Histone Sequence Database
- TelDB telomere information center
- -Telomere Protein Database
- TRANSFAC transcription factor Database
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae -
- list of >2400 ORF and their subcellular localisation from Munich Information Centre for Protein Sequences (MIPS)
- Prostate Nuclear Matrix Database
- DExH/D Protein Database
- HoxPro Database-- Hox Protein Database
- NuReBase-- Nuclear Receptor Database
- Nuclear Receptor Resource --The Nuclear Receptor Resource (NRR) Project is a collection of individual
databases on members of the steroid and thyroid hormone receptor superfamily (Georgetown University).
- -Glucocorticoid Receptor Site
- Thyroid Hormone Receptor Resource --Good resource link to other nuclear receptor databases (Harvard).
- Steriod Receptor Associated Protein Database
- HMG protein Resources
- HMG protein Resource (NCBI)
- Michael Bustin's HMG protein page
- Nuclear Protein Resources from Rein Aasland
- Polycomb and Trithorax Resources
- PHD Finger proteins
- SANT domain proteins
- SAND domain proteins
- Chromoshadow domain proteins
- Chromatin Remodelling Protein Resources (Swi/SNF, ISWI etc.)
- Swi/Snf proteins--maintained by Jonathan A. Eisen
- Kingston Lab pages
Human Genome Project Mapping Resource Center-- a host of bioinformatic tools and sequencing projects
National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) --Unigene, Entrez, Pubmed... etc. the gold standard bioinformatics website.
Pedros BioMolecular Research Tools-- everything you will every need.
- NCBI Blast Sever-- Multiple organism and fully integrated with Pubmed and Entrez
- C. elegans Blast Server-- from the Sanger Institute
- Drosophila BDGP Blast Server
- S. cerevisiae MIPS - BLAST Similarity Search against Yeast Sequences
- S. pombe Blast Server -- from the Sanger Institute
- ENSEMBL Human Genome Browser
- Human Genome Working Draft-- gateway to the Golden Path human genome sequence browser and annotated database
Protocols and Reagents
Antibodies and Probes
- Antibody Resource
- ABCAM -- Lots of antibodies
- Upstate Biotech-- Good source of anti-histone and histone modificaiton antibodies
- Jackson ImmunoResearch Laboratories-- Good secondaries for co-immunofluorescence
- Zymed-- More antibodies
- Molecular Probes-- Home of Alexa fluors
- Cloning Vector search engine
- The Cloning Vector Collection
- Shortcuts to molecular biology protocols
- Protocol Online-You lab's reference book
- LabVelocity--locate scientific products, protocols, literature and news.
- Bionet.molbio.METHDS-REAGNTS-- newsgroup for protocols and reagents
- Resources in biomedicine and molecular biology
Specific Protocols to Nuclear Structure and Function
- Angus Lamond's Protocols
- Spector Lab Protocols
- WWW.CELLNUCLEUS.COM Methods
- ExPASy Molecular Biology Server-- comprehensive list of protein analysis tools and websites
Protein domain and motif identification
- InterPro Home
- ISREC ProfileScan Server
- PSORT WWW Server
- SMART - Simple Modular Architecture Research Tool
- NCBI CD-Search
- SBASE-- Protein Domain library
- Superfamily-- HMM library and genome assignment server
- BIND - The Biomolecular Interaction Network Database
- DIP Database of Interacting Proteins (mostly redundant with BIND)
- Yeast PathCalling Home Page from Curagen